BAGHDAD - Iraq's political bazaar is branching out.
VATICAN CITY - French President Nicolas Sarkozy met Friday with the pope and top Vatican officials in a fence-mending visit following France's controversial crackdown on Gypsies, while a top Vatican cardinal urged France to welcome immigrants and those who have been persecuted.
PARIS - France's constitutional watchdog on Thursday endorsed a divisive law forbidding face-covering Islamic veils anywhere in public, but expressed concern about applying it in places of worship such as a mosque.
UPPSALA, Sweden - A Swedish artist who angered Muslims by caricaturing the Prophet Muhammad has given a lecture on artistic freedom at a location heavily guarded by police.
VATICAN CITY - The pope has tapped an Italian to head the Vatican office in charge of the world's 400,000 Catholic priests.
- 3 Russian neo-Nazis sentenced for hate killings
- Dutch politician hate speech trial to resume
- Vatican: Nobel to IVF pioneer raises questions
- Serb pilgrims gather in Kosovo for enthronement
- Pope arrives in Sicily on one-day visit
- Ancient tree to help turn Jericho into tourism hub
- Kurdish rebels extend cease-fire against Turkey
- New Dutch govt wants to tighten immigration laws
- Vatican taps investigator for group tied to Legion
- Denmark seeks to avoid renewed cartoon uproar
- Archbishop of Canterbury: Gay rows wounding church
- Vatican bank chief laments damaged image
- Iran criticizes its diplomats' defections
- Anti-immigration sentiment grows in Sweden
- Macedonia: Moderate Muslims seek help against sect
- Report: Protest in Turkey over Quran desecration
- Vatican declares Pope's visit to Britain a success
- Armenian Christians celebrate rare Mass in Turkey
- Pope notes 70th Blitz anniversary as he says Mass
- Armenians celebrate rare Mass in Turkey
- Pope celebrates Mass to beatify Cardinal Newman
- Pope to meet Anglican leader on Day 2 of UK visit
- German Jesuits offer abuse victims compensation
- Pope acknowledges church failures in abuse scandal
- A brief look at the pope's British visit
- Grant to miss West Ham match due to Yom Kippur
- Ice cream ad banned as "offensive" to Catholics
- Victims of childhood abuse demand action from pope
- Experts: Belfast militants killed man, broke truce
- German book channels public's immigrant angst
- Pope travels to Britain amid indifference, outrage
- French Senate passes ban on full Muslim veils
- Smaller crowds anticipated in UK for papal visit
- French Gypsies recall forgotten wartime internment
- Iranian defections hint at fissures over election