VATICAN CITY - French President Nicolas Sarkozy met Friday with the pope and top Vatican officials in a fence-mending visit following France's controversial crackdown on Gypsies, while a top Vatican cardinal urged France to welcome immigrants and those who have been persecuted.
PARIS - France's constitutional watchdog on Thursday endorsed a divisive law forbidding face-covering Islamic veils anywhere in public, but expressed concern about applying it in places of worship such as a mosque.
PARIS - The French Senate on Tuesday overwhelmingly passed a bill banning the burqa-style Islamic veil in public, but the leaders of both parliamentary houses said they had asked a special council to first ensure the measure passes constitutional muster amid concerns its tramples on religious freedoms.
MONTREUIL-BELLAY, France - It's a thistle-tangled field behind a hedge of blackberries, with little to catch the eye but three surreal staircases that rise out of the parched grass and lead to nowhere.
PARIS - A Muslim stonemason who spent nearly four decades helping to restore a Roman Catholic cathedral in France has been immortalized as a winged gargoyle peering out from its facade - with the inscription "God is great" written in French and Arabic.
- 2 French hostages in Afghanistan 'in good health'
- French bid to ban veils worries allies, tourists
- Paris mosque slams burger chain's Muslim outreach
- Vatican: Church defends rights of Gypsies
- Pilgrims evacuated after bomb threat at Lourdes
- Moroccan protesters block Spanish enclave border
- Saudi: OK to uncover face in anti-burqa countries
- Spanish parliament to debate ban on public burqas
- Spain to consider banning burqas in public
- French parliament approves ban on face veils
- French parliament set to approve ban on face veils
- French parliament set to vote on veil ban
- Survey: Europeans back veil ban, Americans opposed
- French parliament debates ban on burqa-style veils
- European unity tested over crucifixes in classroom
- Icelandic leader in milestone gay marriage
- Paris police ban pork street party in Muslim area
- Belgium bans burqa-type dress in public
- French Muslims torn over potential veil ban
- Sarkozy to submit bill banning Islamic face veils
- Europe struggles with Muslim dress code
- Woman mosque leader seeks new Muslim in Europe
- Culture clash: European art provokes Muslims
- France's Sarkozy faces whipping in regional vote
- Dutch anti-Islam politician creates stir in UK
- France denies citizenship to man with veiled wife
- Fiat faces papal censure for plant closure
- French report wants limits on Muslim face veil
- Lawmaker's report wants limits on Muslim face veil
- Panel to favor partial ban on full veil in France
- Sparks fly on day 2 of Paris' menwear shows
- Givenchy delivers menswear steeped in Catholicism
- Russia wins court case and gets cathedral
- Sarkozy party chief: France must ban full veil
- France moves closer to banning full Muslim veil