BAGHDAD - The flurry to close the first chapter of Iraq's seven-month political drama is suddenly intense with angry Sunnis pledging to dig in for a fight while Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki tries to win over the last few allies he needs to stay in power.
MOSUL, Iraq - An Iraqi governor and leading Sunni politician said Sunday that the nation's "last chance for democracy" could be derailed if the Shiite prime minister keeps his job despite losing to a Sunni-backed coalition in elections seven months ago.
MOSUL, Iraq - An Iraqi governor and leading Sunni politician says democracy will be threatened if Iraq's Shiite prime minister keeps his job.
SULAIMANIYAH, Iraq - Kurdish lawmakers began Saturday to plot their course as Iraq's kingmakers with enough seats to secure a second term for Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and press key demands, including a greater say over the oil riches in the country's north.
BAGHDAD - A Muslim cleric who once used a militia to resist the American invasion positioned himself as a big winner in Iraq's monthslong political deadlock Friday when his party threw its support behind the beleaguered prime minister.
- Aides: Iraqi Shiite cleric backs al-Maliki
- US general: Iraq political limbo fuels violence
- Shiite bloc names new candidate for Iraqi PM
- Shiite cleric warns Iraqis against working with US
- Iraq says its independent as US ends combat
- Iraqi rivals break off power-sharing talks
- July deadliest month for Iraqis since 2008
- Iraqi cleric meets with PM candidate in Syria
- 3 die in Iraq attack on Sunni sect member's house
- New Iraqi parliament to convene next week
- Iraqi court seals secular bloc's election margin
- Iraq's al-Maliki says he's only party PM nominee
- Top Shiite cleric in Iraq calls for unity
- Iraqiya: Top Shiite cleric calls for unity
- Court overturns ban on 9 Iraqi candidates
- Iraq vote winner asserts right to form government
- Sunni-backed party in Iraq warns of sectarianism
- Top Iraq cleric says not consulted on referee role
- Shiite agreement gives Iraq's clerics greater say
- AP Exclusive: Iraq deal gives clerics final say
- Shiite clerics to have final say in Iraq alliance
- Sunnis warn over Iraq's new Shiite alliance
- Iraqi Sunni concerned over new Shiite alliance
- Iraq's Shiites unite to try to form new government
- Iraqi officials fight over vote recount
- Iraq begins Baghdad vote recount requested by PM
- Iraq PM slams calls for foreign role in election
- Iraqi court bans candidates in election disarray
- Shiite cleric calls on followers to defend mosques
- Iraq Shiite cleric doubts front-runners in PM race
- Iraq PM: Sunni-backed bloc must be in govt
- Iraq: Allawi's party courts Iranian support
- Division among Iraq's Shiites good news for Allawi
- Leader of Iraqi Shiite party gives boost to Allawi
- Shiite cleric' followers choose their PM candidate