RAMALLAH, West Bank - Arsonists torched a mosque in a West Bank village Monday, scrawling "revenge" on a wall in Hebrew and charring copies of the Muslim holy book in an attack that threatened to stoke tensions over deadlocked Mideast peacemaking.
JERUSALEM - The Palestinian president has left the door open to continuing peace negotiations with Israel even if it resumes settlement construction in the West Bank, offering a glimmer of hope that a compromise will be reached in a key dispute that has threatened to torpedo the newly relaunched talks.
JERUSALEM - Israelis usher in the Jewish new year, or Rosh Hashana, at sundown Wednesday with a widespread sense of pessimism that a new round of U.S.-sponsored Mideast talks can achieve peace.
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - To relaunch Middle East peace talks on Thursday, the Israeli and Palestinian leaders and their American mediators quietly agreed to push aside the question of Hamas - the Islamic militant group that controls one of the two Palestinian territories and rejects negotiations.
BAGHDAD - Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said the end of American combat operations Tuesday leaves his country independent and an equal to the United States and he assured his people their own security forces will protect them.
- Pro-Vatican politicians irked by Gadhafi in Rome
- Abbas: No peace talks with settlement building
- Gadhafi gives lesson on Islam to young Italians
- No agreement on direct Israel-Palestinian talks
- US officials optimistic about direct talks
- US envoy falls short on latest Mideast mission
- Turkey's Erdogan: emerging leader in Muslim world
- Egyptians married to Israelis to lose citizenship
- Top Iraq cleric says not consulted on referee role
- Shiite agreement gives Iraq's clerics greater say
- AP Exclusive: Iraq deal gives clerics final say
- Shiite clerics to have final say in Iraq alliance
- US envoy cancels Mideast trip, Israel feud deepens
- Israeli apology gets cool reception in Washington
- Israeli leader urges calm over row with Washington
- Egypt cancels unveiling of restored synagogue
- Israel seals off West Bank to prevent unrest
- Egypt to pay for restoration of all synagogues
- Palestinian Cabinet stakes claim amid shrine furor
- Iraqi PM calls pre-vote candidate ban legitimate
- Israeli police, Palestinians clash at holy site
- Israeli soldiers clash with Palestinian protesters
- US encyclopedia sorry for Irish history snafu
- Lawmaker's report wants limits on Muslim face veil
- Pope denounces failure to forge new climate treaty
- Pope denounces failure to chart new climate treaty